Sunday, January 28, 2007

The last long weekend until Easter...

Just had three days off for the Australia Day long weekend - when Australians go out and about, celebrating the British fools who shipped them here as a punishment some 219 years ago (I think).

I went for a picnic with some 'new Australians' in Centennial Park and had a ball. Such a hot day, and in the middle of the park was this nature walk, complete with rainforest etc. Elvis loved it.

Summer in Sydney means outdoor activities - on Thurday I went to the St George Open Air Cinema to see The Departed.
I nodded off during the movie (don't tell the Academy), but the setting for the outdoor screen... on the banks of Sydney Harbour, with the screen framed by the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, was truly wonderful. A real treat if ever you're in Sydney at this time of year.

I had a day of self-indulgence on Sunday, and spent the entire day sitting in the garden reading. I had picked up Mitch Albom's For One More Day. He's the guy who wrote The Five People You Meet in Heaven, a book that was recommended to me after my Mum died. At the time, it was just too soon and I couldn't get into it. But having finished For One More Day, I then got stuck into the oterh book.
I ended up finishing two books yesterday... and burning my arms.

And finally, I face my first real challenge in my new role, with the new ninemsn homepage being launched - the beat version - on Thursday Feb 1st. I'm working my proverbial off, and it all seems to be coming together.
I've booked Red Rock Cottage for this weekend, and I know I'll be collapsing in a heap if I get through this week in one piece!

2 Comments:

At 10:30 am , Blogger Trump said...

The Five People you Meet in Heaven is a great book, I loved it. Sniffer started it yesterday, which is spooky as you blogged it.

Try the Electric Michealangelo, that's cool also.

 
At 5:10 pm , Blogger claire said...

I'm really trying to make time to read more - books are the most wonderful things and certainly have a calming influence on me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home