Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Elvis... the Lassie of the Inner West




Our dog Elvis is a small dog and really good natured, but he's become a little yappy in the last few months. He's always running to the front and back of the house in the dead of night, usually barking at birds.
And last night was no exception.

At 1am he ran downstairs and started his usual carry-on, but he made no attmept to stop and was actually sounding quite hysterical (if you can imagine what an hysterical bark is like).
Relenting, I went downstairs to bring him up... to be faced with 10ft high flames on the other side of our garden wall.
It turns out our local arsonist had been at it - four wheelie bins had been set alight - all of which were located at the back of the houses they belonged to.
Bloody idiots.

My next-door neighbour was out on the street as her house is made of wood and she was genuinely afraid for her life.

The police and fireys came - we did attempt to put out the blaze with our garden hose, but the water + melted plastic = huge flames.

Once the fires were extinguished - and most of the street was out of bed - the police were immediately called to a similar incident a couple of streets away.

Such a frightening experience - and I'm sad to say the two thoughts running through my head were (1) I need to grab all the photos of my Mum and (2)I can't be late for work tomorrow ... I'm launching a new website.

My hero, little Elvis. A man's (and woman's) best friend, indeed.
Good boy.

2 Comments:

At 12:43 am , Blogger LJC said...

Firstly, OMG!!!!!

Secondly, I can just imagine Elvis squealing at the bottom of the stairs as if to say "Come quick, the bins are on fire!".

What a little champion he is, the next time I see him I'm going to give him the biggest pig's ear he's ever seen!

Seriously though, thank god you and your neighbours are all ok. Any news if they've caught the arsonist?

 
At 5:09 pm , Blogger claire said...

No news on the arsonist that I'm aware of. Little bit concerned that they'll try it again while we're at work, but am really hoping it was just the work of drunk, random person rather than someone targeting us.
Our recycle bin only has wheels left - and they're welded to the pavement!
So frightening - and thank God for Elvis.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home