Sunday, September 16, 2007

Across the great divide...



It's been a week of work freebies for me.
Owing to some promo work I'd done, I landed two tickets for the Silverchair-Powderfinger concert out at Acer Arena.
I'm a HUGE Powderfinger fan... Silverchair are OK, but they didn't really impress.
Bernard Fanning and co. put on amazing show, although I am biased as they're one of my favourite bands.
The show was supported by Youth Group, who were absolutely amazing. I think I loved them more than Silverchair!

Then at the opposite end of the musical spectrum, I landed two tickets to see Tori Amos at the Sydney Opera House.
I've seen her twice before - on her Under the Pink tour at the London Palladium (she was quite dull, I was quite drunk) and on the Songs from the Choirgirl Hotel tour at Sheffield City Hall (she was amazing, I was in awe).
The venue was a big pull for me - I'd never been to a show at the main hall of the Opera House. What a place!
Tori was great.
The first 'set' was as her alter-ego Pip - a little bit freaky really, with heaps of pelvic thrusting, flipping the bird, Shirley Bassey hand gestures and touching herself.
I didn't know where to look...



But for the remainder of the show, dressed in a green sequinned jumpsuit and looking like an ABBA tribute act, she was tremendous.
Personal highlights were Silent All These Years, Cornflake Girl and my absolute favourite Tori tune A Sorta Fairytale (sorry cakesniffer).
Fantastic, although I'm not sure the Sydney Morning Herald was all that keen...

1 Comments:

At 11:31 am , Blogger Trump said...

I agree with the Herald. 2 hours, 2 encores, 200 folk up and down out of their seats for bar and pee breaks.
And then there's Tori's flaky, I'm a bit kooky on stage antics. I was buggered by the time I got out.
Not for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home